Tuesday, July 21, 2009

WHAT DO I DO?

So, I attempted to begin my opening sequence, which is big for me considering its not one hour before the deadline.  But about a second after I typed "Fade In:" I realized a problem I'd had while writing the treatment that I never really thought hard enough about.  My script has a lot of backstory as far as the sisters go (the plain sister falling in love, the men falling in love with the prettier sister instead and the men's disappearances), and I don't know if I should reveal it in the beginning, as sort of a prelude to the actual story, or slowly reveal it throughout the film.  If the latter is a better option, I don't know how well I could pull it off.  If the first is the better option, I don't know how to do it without using like, a v.o., and I also don't know if doing it would be just taking the easy way out.  Does anyone have an opinion on this matter? Plz.? Is anyone even reading this?...

5 comments:

  1. I would like to know what your story is. I assume there are two sisters, the younger with an innocent and naive look on romance, the older a beautiful black widow who eats men as a whim.

    The house that you describe reminds me, I think, of Hester Prynne and little Pearl. Hester is exiled from her community when she becomes pregnant (unmarried, Puritan New England, and she doesn't name the father), and is subsequently forced into a conservative, almost ascetic lifestyle. It is follows that her daughter Pearl, a lovechild and nymphet at a young age, would mature into a liberal woman. Regardless, they live on the outskirts of town in a little hut that no one visits.

    Is your story important because of what the older sister does? Or is it important because suitors mysteriously disappear? Either way, no matter how clever you try to make it, a vigilant viewer/reader will figure it out. Either you force that, or you give it to them right away, sure. Your decision changes the material you're considering, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the backstory should come first...unless your little boy is the main character?? Maybe he could come in later on in the story instead? You could just start by showing the girls going on dates, etc. and what happens?

    Maybe the kid is writing a story and he goes there for inspiration - oh wait, doesn't his dad get killed by them?

    I think your plot needs a brilliant twist that will let you do whatever you want. Wait -- are these girls known in the town? I forget if you had some magical component to the house itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Aaaaaahhh no voice over unless you are telling it like a fairytale a la Cinderella. Then I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generally, I'm opposed to VO, but the tone of this, which I gather is kind of a Tim Burton-esque fantasy may merit it. Remember, you can always change the opening in rewrites. The key thing is to get started. Pick a path and start walking.

    ReplyDelete